Saturday, June 14, 2014

Is Pinterest Ever Too Much?

I love Pinterest.  I love, love, love it!

I use it to figure out

I use it for seasonal inspiration (winter, spring, summer, fall)


I use it for just about everything under the sun, it seems...

...but when is Pinterest too much?
When does it go from mere inspiration 
to more of a crutch 
for our own creativity and imagination?  

I believe a fine line does exist, and I think, for me, I might have crossed that line last night...

We celebrated Father's Day early this year because of one thing or another.
The gift I'd chosen for my dad was heartfelt,
                                                         it was beautiful, it was...
                                                                                 ...directly from Pinterest...
Yup, aside from changing the word "Daddy" to "Pop", I'd copied the whole thing.

Even still,  I was so over-the-top about giving the gift because of what it symbolized...
My dad and I, we've been through so much in our relationship, and I'd been so hurtful in the past.  So to be able to stand there giving this gift to my father along with my two kids well, it meant more than I could ever explain!

Fast-forward a few lines into the poem my dad was reading though, and get right to the part where my son blurted out that I'd copied the whole thing from Pinterest, and you'd be just in time to see my heart falling onto the floor.

It seems like not a huge deal, I know, 
...get over it already, right?!  

But to have come so far with my dad and to have this chance to show it ...let's just say, while I wasn't looking to say this work is "mine, all mine", I also didn't want the intention of my heart to be overshadowed with the knowledge that these words were not my own.

Anyways,  my question to you all is this....

Where do you draw the line with Pinterest?  
Has it taken over your own creativity? 
OR 
Have you successfully maintained it 
as a supplement to your exuberant imagination?

Trust me, I love Pinterest, and I'll continue to use it diligently, I'm sure, but I think I'll mix in a little more ME from now on... let it take a backseat to my own God-given inspirational ability!



No comments:

Post a Comment