Saturday, February 8, 2014

One of God's Greatest Blessings

There's a certain peace, I imagine, that washes over many a weary parent at the end of the day...the peace that comes from watching angels sleep.

It's the stuff nostalgia is made of...the stuff that so very often fills me to completion as I marvel over how such beauty can be nestled among these blankets of downy softness...and I become overwhelmed with the fact that God chose me to keep charge of such amazing and delicately powerful beings as these...


That's the peace I felt last night as I listened to my boy settle in for the night with his friends...and it was by that peace that I gladly stayed up until two in the morning when he couldn't find rest so quickly..
So, as my head hit the pillow, I felt so complete ...and amazed that another chapter had begun in my son's still young life...

...but when those sweet voices came floating into my bedroom at 6 this morning, and as they woke my youngest for the day, 

I can confidently tell you that...

I'M OVER IT!!

When three 9 year old boys develop cabin fever within my humble home....and when they're suddenly staaaarving and my youngest is pleading at my ankles for the kind of time only a mother can give yet can't be provided because I've pancakes to flip...

I'M SO OVER IT!!
...aren't I?

I mean, I should be, right?  With all the screaming and shrieking and the tornado powered by three that's running right through the middle of my home...shouldn't I be?  Wouldn't anyone be?

...But then, I saw it...call it an out-of-body experience as I was fleeing from the whirlwind heading in my direction, but I saw it so clearly...

...HE'S HAPPY...my son...he's so very happy...

So as the last of the blankets get folded, and I start to see the floor of my home again...his happiness overwhelms me...

I want for the happiness of my children over that of my own, and here it is displayed across his face, eyes shining brighter than the sun...here it is in that voice...the one that found it's home in my heart with that very first coo seemingly another lifetime ago...

...then I realize...
It has been SO worth it...
It's been so worth everything for this moment, seeing him like this..

A child's happiness...MY child's happiness...
It's one of the best gifts God could ever bless me with...

Then I realize...

                           I'm NOT over it...

                                                          ...not even close...

And, as I sit here thinking about life and how very beautiful it is...

...my boy dares ask with those amazing brown eyes...

"Mom, can they stay again tonight? PLEASE?"....






No comments:

Post a Comment