Monday, March 17, 2014

Sword Drill Challenge: Visualization

Ephesians 6:14-17
"Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace.  In addition to this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one.  Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God."

So I know I picked a bit of a challenge coming right out of the gate here...at least for me, I find it's length to be a bit daunting...but I really felt like this was the one.

I mean, after all, it's what the whole purpose of memorizing Scripture is all about:  strengthening ourselves for Christ, deepening our relationship with our Father, getting to that place of peace and steadiness despite what the storm around us tries to dictate...we've got to have our wits about us, and these verses speak to just that!

THE METHOD:
Under my Wisdom Grace and Chickens Board in Pinterest, I've got a few memorization tactics pinned that I'll be trying over the next couple weeks...feel free to check them out to see if one works best for you! 

For this week, though, I'll be trying my own method.  I'm a huge visual person, and visualizing these verses seems like it'd be a perfect fit what with you pretty much just needing to visualize putting the armor on like you would clothing.

For the next couple days, I'm going to focus on Ephesians 6:14-15:

 "Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace."

I'll just break it on down:
"Stand firm then..."  I'm picturing myself standing at attention, feet firmly planted...

...then on goes the first piece..."...with the belt of truth buckled around your waist..."

"...with the breastplate of righteousness in place..."  this is NOT an item in my closet, lol, but I can still see it shining, magnificent, and full of grace, since we do not deserve the honor of these gifts but only receive them through Christ. I can picture myself wearing it with enthusiasm, head held high.

"... and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace."   I'm a runner, and I know how fitted and perfect I like my shoes and how amazing my runs feel when I've got them just right...I imagine it's like this except infinitely far greater!! 

What I'm noticing about each of these articles of armor so far, is that each of them give the impression of being adhered tightly to your person:  "belt of truth buckled", "breastplate of righteousness in place", "feet fitted"...Even the description of firmly standing... everything is snug, solid, in place...like He is surrounding us wholly...completely...in every way...It's just so beautiful, I think!  

So for the next couple days, why don't you give it a try....  

                                              Imagine getting dressed for battle 
...because whether we realize it or not, 
                                                        whether we leave the house or not, 
                                              ...we do battle each and every day!   

...imagine how you'll stand as each piece is fitted over you ("Stand firm then...")
                           ...imagine the belt of truth as it buckles around your waist...
...and the heaviness and assurance that comes from the breastplate of righteousness 
                                            (a gift to all who are saved and believe)....
...imagine the best pair of shoes you've ever worn.... 

How do you feel?  
                       Honored?  
                                    Grateful?  
Humbled and overwhelmed by this power He equips each of us with through His armor?  
                              All of this is available to us through the power of His Word...

...Quite frankly, I'm not sure anymore why I ever took so long to start memorizing it!

Keep me posted over these next few days!  Let me know if you tried this visualization method and what worked for you!!  I'd love to know!









No comments:

Post a Comment