Wednesday, April 30, 2014

EASY Rainy Day Activity With Your Toddler!

I don't know about the rest of you, but it is still chilly around these parts, 
despite what the calendar marks!

Even still, my Lady and I have managed to get ourselves outside on most days...She's crazy about going for walks, and I admit, we trespass on many a neighbor's yard for a closer look at the lawn ornaments that beckon us (well, she trespasses...Is it bad I send her off to roam while I safely guard the streets?  Way I figure is that no one is going to get mad about a baby meandering about their lawn, but a grown-up?  That just be downright creepy!!)

My Little Trespasser...Er, Lady...My Little Lady

So, yes, walks have been where it's at for us lately... But what to do on those days when the rain comes and decides it's staying?  Today was such a day, and with no activities pre-planned, I had to think fast..

Let me tell you...
a little cornstarch, a little water & last summer's Kool-Aid packets, 
and you've got yourself a party!!


Materials:
In case you missed it up above...
Cornstarch
Water
Kool-Aid packet(s)
Pan/deep baking dish of some sort

Seriously, this was so simple...I just mixed a little cornstarch with the water and, for reasons beyond my educated mind, the cornstarch creates the most bizarre consistency...

Oh, yeah, we threw in some pasta shells too...

Smack your hand down on the mixture and it reacts like a solid...
Slowly stick your finer into it and you've got yourself a gooey liquid...


You all know about this stuff, I'm sure, but I'm telling you, I'm completely enthralled by the whole thing!

My Lady was a bit freaked out at first, but she came around in the end!

And where does the Kool-Aid come in?

We used it to dye our concoction...Let me say, even that was cool to watch...
There was lots of mixing and swirling to be had until it became a slightly brownish pink mixture of goo!

Like I said...playtime success!!  

Word of warning though...the Kool-Aid WILL dye your hands.  So, if that's not your thing, you may want to find something else to color the mixture with...

In its defense, the Kool-Aid did smell quite delicious, and the dye had washed away by day's end!

What do you guys do on your unexpected rainy days in?
Got any super-easy toddler activities for me?  
I'd love to hear!





No comments:

Post a Comment